If you've wanted to get more involved, this is your chance. Joining staff will give you invaluable experience in social media and activism. After over a year online and on the road, our staff has learned a lot, and we're happy to share that skill set with new members. :)
You can learn about:
- Using social media in a grassroots movement.
- Maintaining and posting to WordPress, a platform used by a wide ranger of online bloggers and professional companies (like Hulu).
- Writing in a professional fashion for press releases and other official statements.
Staffers also benefit from:
- Interacting with the extended network of Asian American professionals and race advocates.
- Learning about exciting new things in indie American media, such as local film screenings and book releases.
- Potential for school credit, via collaboration with the Media Action Network for Asian Americans and your teacher/professor.
- The experience of working with one of the largest fan-led activist groups in the world; perfect for preparing you for college activism or work in related fields. (and great on a college app/resume! :)
We're looking for the following positions:
- News Writers: For quick, fast postings of 3 to 4 paragraphs, describing breaking news the day it happens.
- Site Co-Editors: To assist Catherine with the responsibilities of the site editor. This includes proofreading and formatting others' postings and ensuring that writers are producing content on-schedule.
- Community Managers: We need people with great online social skills, who can praise when necessary, calmly and cheerfully discuss racial issues even with crazy trolls, and moderate discussions as necessary. For Twitter and Facebook page administration.
- Spotlight Writers: We're looking for folks who always like talking about media: in film, television, print, or online. If you're the sort of person who loves movies involving Asian American talent (and other talent of color), and want to share these hidden gems with a wide audience, this is the post for you!
- Press and Campus Relations: If you want to step up and help take our activism to the next level, we're looking for people who can organize responses to press articles, encourage press to write about our cause, and solicit campus organizations for Racebending.com speaking/screening events.
If you're interested in any of the positions - or in helping out in another way - please drop us an email: email@example.com
If there are any questions, please post below! :)